Thailand does Doug

Monday, October 30, 2006

My First Island

Motoring across the Gulf of Thailand headed towards Koh Samet I have what I call a "What the hell am I doing in Thailand?" moment. These moments are a good thing though, not a bad thing. I left my fair city of Petchaburi eight hours earlier and after taking a van to Bangkok, meeting up with a Thai friend and bussing to Ban Phe, there we were speed-boating towards a dimly lit mound rising from the ocean. Not a bad way to start a weekend in the islands.
We opted to be dropped off at the bar that night seeing as it was midnight and after being reunited with the orientation group we had become so close to, Samet immediatly became my home away from my home away from home.
Once there we did everthing one expects to do on an average weekend: swam, tanned, kayaked, ate, drank, watched fire dancers, and practiced hand stands. Koh Samet, although filled with Farang(Westerners) really is everything it is made out to be. Perfect white sand, blue-green water as clear as a glass out of my Grammy's kitchen, and of course bungalows. I don't know why I love bungalows, I don't even really now what the defining charactoristics of a bungalow are. I think maybe it is just the way the word sounds. Bungalow...Sigh...What a tough life I lead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home